Help kids from nomadic tribal communities in Tamil Nadu discover the joy of reading
0Days to go
Target DateCampaign End Method
Who we areVanavil Trust is an organisation that works for the betterment of nomadic tribal communities and serves the most underserved communities in Tamil Nadu. We focus on women empowerment and taking vulnerable tribal children out of the streets and providing them shelter, education, protection, health and nutrition.
Our work and its impactWe support the educational and nutritional needs of 1000 nomadic tribal children through the following projects:
1. Nursery and Primary School - for the holistic development of nomadic tribal children.
2. Children's Home - to provide a safe space for children from nomadic communities.
3. Community-based Child Protection - an initiative to protect child rights and support the educational and nutritional needs of nomadic tribal children by developing a child-friendly ecosystem.
4. After School Centres - 11 centres in nomadic tribal hamlets in Nagapattinam, Tiruvarur and Mayiladuthurai districts to support the educational and nutritional needs of the children.
5. Child-Friendly Space in Velankanni - to provide a safe space for children in Velankanni who accompany their parents to work.
6. Railway Childline Partner- partnership with Railway Childline in Nagapattinam district to rescue vulnerable children in need of care and protection.
7. Livelihood Support - empowering tribal women by providing them skill-based training and interest-free loans to start small businesses.
How we will utilise these booksWe use storybooks in our programmes to build foundational literacy and want to establish libraries for 900 children in 12 villages in Tamil Nadu.
The storybooks from this campaign will be used in our schools, homes, after-school centres and child-friendly spaces. We focus on developing language skills and foundational literacy among nomadic tribal children and have always used age-appropriate storybooks as learning aids. We will use the funds donated to set up a library in all the centres so that children have access to quality reading material in English and local languages.
Donate to our campaign and help us share the joy of reading with children from the most marginalised communities.